Friday, June 29, 2012

Fancy Fruit Fly Finisher

Day 7... It's about 10 pm Friday night and I just returned from Walmart and Publix for a quick grocery run.  I'm still planning on going to the Farmer's market tomorrow, but as I peered into the fairly empty fridge, I knew we wouldn't make it.  The farmer's market still beats the price of the grocery store, (Granny Smith apples;  $1.19/lb at Farmer Browns, and $2.49 at Publix) but they don't carry stuff like baby spinach, kale, Swiss chard. Those kinds of greens are what supplies the protein.    

Gross results of Terry's fruit fly trap
Terry found a concoction on line that is a very effective fruit fly  death trap.  She mixed 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar with a 1/2 tsp of Dawn detergent and sure enough they met their doom.  I thought I was being careful about keeping the compost lid on, but maybe not.  Maybe the pic of the fallen floaters isn't too disgusting.

Cranberry juice before stirring and enjoying
Last night I mentioned we were going to try the cranberry juice.  Using the yellow squash instead of butternut and using spinach instead of collards worked fine.  I haven't been brave enough to buy collards yet.  It seems that they would be bitter.  Before stirring, the juice was quite the work of art!

Terry has big plans for tomorrow in the yard.  I have eggplants to set out, zuchinni plants,  parsley and cilantro, and I have no idea where to put my young tomato plants, I just like seeing them sprout I think.  I bought some more squash seeds today to replace ours when they are through producing. We are almost 1/3 the way through our juice "fast" and seem to be doing fine.  We've both lost weight and haven't grown any extra appendages. More on that later! Night.


No comments:

Post a Comment