Thursday, January 24, 2013

Craziest thing yet!

We have tried quite a few unusual recipes!  Most have been good, only one or two were "bombs"! Last night was an unexpected good one!  The kind you would probably read and avoid cooking. I figured we should bite the bullet!  Are you ready for this?  We made Vegetarian Hash!  What?! You just said, "big deal", didn't you?  Did I mention beets were in the base? with eggs on top? I have no idea how I came across this recipe.....but we would definitely make it again. I guess I would say we were somewhere between I liked it - I loved it!  HaHa!

Cook eggs to your preference.
If you need a quick, easy, HEALTHY recipe..... this vegetarian hash recipe is for you! Potatoes, beets, onions, garlic, eggs... The potatoes and beets mixed together give you a sweet/salty combo. The only thing I did differently was I used a roasting pan, because I did not have a large cast iron skillet. Also, we cut the beets/potatoes in small chunks which reduced the cooking time. "In addition to protein and fiber, this recipe will give you 13% of your daily value of iron, 54% of your daily value of vitamin C, and 18% of your daily value of vitamin A."

We do not eat a lot of beets. I'm thinking, "What do you even do with them?" We tried juicing them but didn't care for it. When I came across this recipe I thought we would give it a shot. It was a nice change and a good recipe.  Here's a good link about the benefits of beets: 7 Reasons to Love Beets.

If you are feeling adventurous and want to venture out  into the world of beets, allrecipes.com is one of my favorite go-to sites.  Check out their top rated beet recipes.

Bill is so ready to get into homesteading full time.  He looked at the vegetarian hash and said, "We can grow all this ourselves." We already have the 4 foot gardening plots, all we need are chickens!  Seriously, I wonder if we should go for it??








No comments:

Post a Comment