Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Great weather...and we ate what?


View from our balcony
Wow! Fabulous weather in the south! The temps have been in the low 80's, pollen on cars, and girls are sun bathing on the beach. We have been out of town for a few days for a planning session for WAFT. We went to Jacksonville Beach and loved the sound of the ocean! I even made sure the curtains were opened so we could see the sun rise every day!

Since we didn't get home until Monday night, I didn't have time to go shopping. Juice for breakfast - no problem. But lunch?  I looked in the pantry, saw a can of pinto beans and thought "quick chili".  As usual, I wanted to try a new recipe and found this quick and easy one called The Best Vegetarian Chili EVER! Super easy and quite good.  I didn't have the exact beans called for in the recipe, so I just substituted - I know you are surprised!
Garlic, onions, bell peppers

Throw everything together

Add sour cream and cheese of desired








Seriously good!
We are finding that restaurants are expanding their menus to include more vegetarian choices. We found several that had fabulous food while we were in Jacksonville.  A favorite place of ours is the  Mellow Mushroom. We used to have one in Valdosta, but alas, they moved. We ordered  the MEGA-VEGGIE pizza: red sauce base with feta and mozzarella cheeses, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, green pepper, mushrooms, onions, black olives, Roma tomatoes, broccoli, banana peppers, artichoke hearts and tofu.  The tofu wasn't a big deal to me, eat them or leave them is my philosophy, but it is a good source of protein.

Another fun place that we ate was the Mojo Bar-B-Que. In fact, we ate there twice! The first time we ordered a vegetable plate; I got the smoked yellow corn, collards, black eyed peas, and dirty rice.  Bill had the corn too, mac/cheese, sweet potato mash and a side salad. It came with jalapeno cornbread.  As we were leaving to come back home we stopped there for lunch.  We decided to try something new - smoked chicken nachos. Yes, we had meat! Super good!
If I could get there famous sauce - I could make these!
Good food...healthy food.....if we can make it, you can too!



No comments:

Post a Comment