Sunday, November 18, 2012

With the grandbabies....

I haven't had a chance to post because..... we are in Ohio!!  The buckeye state - and when I say buckeyes, I mean the peanut butter balls rolled in chocolate! We are here to celebrate Noah's 1st birthday!  You're probably thinking I have been eating whatever...aren't you?!  Well, it has been a breeze eating vegetarian! Heather has fixed all kinds of great recipes.  I thought I would share a few with you!

Noah does especially well in the morning, so Heather decided to have a birthday brunch party. We had a couple of breakfast casseroles, fruit, and of course, cupcakes with Birthday Cake ice cream! (I might add, a dinosaur motif.)  One casserole had sausage and bacon in the base (we called it meat-a-saurus) and the other was a vegetarian recipe (veggie-saurus).  The veggie had sun-dried tomatoes that really added a nice texture along with the flavor. Here is a link to the recipe: Hearty Vegetarian breakfast casserole.  It was really good.  You could probably add some other veggies, like mushrooms, spinach, etc.

Another recipe that Heather made used Quinoa.  It was the first time we had eaten it, and it reminded us of rice.  She added corn, black beans and onions; served with a dollop of sour cream. Again, another versatile product. For more recipe ideas using Quinoa, check out this link at allrecipes.com.

Remember, a few years ago when everyone starting making pizzas using english muffins or pita bread?  We loaded ours with veggies and went to town. I think they are best if you grill or toast the bread first, top with your favorite veggies (I do like to saute onion and bell pepper ahead of time) and use a variety of cheeses; feta, mozzarella, fresh grated Parmesan; those make quick and easy meals that you can throw together in no time!

Are you wondering about our juicing?  We brought our juicer with us and always had some on hand.  Actually, I just finished the last of the cranberry/citrus.  Noah loved it - you can never teach them too early.  Honestly, how many one year olds do you know that would drink collards, butternut squash and cranberries on their birthday!!  Haha!

While I was expanding his culinary appetite.....Bill was teaching him to play Angry Birds on his IPad! Today, we also had his baby dedication at church.  Soon, it will be time for us to head back south.  It's been great...now, if I could just bring them back with me!   

No comments:

Post a Comment