Monday, October 1, 2012

Vegetarian? What about protein??

Day 15........still meatless! I know it is totally insane to most that we are maintaining a vegetarian lifestyle. A friend of mine, Donna, said tonight, "I plan our entire meal around the meat." Isn't that the American way?  We decide on what meat to cook, then a plan a carb and lastly a veggie (if you plan a veggie). We are such meat and potato eaters. I cannot believe how easy it has been to give up meat.  The hardest time so far was going out to eat at a local restaurant on Sunday - they had so few meatless choices.  Basically we could get a soup, a salad or some fattening appetizers. We decided to eat lunch somewhere else.

Did you watch the movie Forks over Knives? It's a must! One of the main objections to being meatless is, "What about your protein? Where are you going to get it?" The movie answers that and many other questions. Here's a great chart from Kerry that shows how you can get protein from veggies.

We were in a hurry to get to Bible study tonight so I just grabbed some spaghetti and some spaghetti sauce from a jar. I felt like "Susie Homemaker" when I grabbed some pesto that I had put up in the freezer this summer and added it to the spaghetti.. It was great - meatless! Tomorrow I plan on cooking some mustard greens, fresh squash and rutabaga. My mouth is watering at the thought.


 Be careful!  One of the dangers of eating vegetarian is wrong thinking.  If I am not eating meat, then it will be okay if I eat some cookies (or whatever).  Think of all the calories I am saving.....moderation!!!!

Change the way you think! The vegetarian lifestyle is a good choice!


No comments:

Post a Comment