Thursday, October 25, 2012

What's new tonight?

Loving Vegetarian Recipes!..........Every once in a while I get a day at home to do whatever I want to do.  Today was one of those days! We bought some vegetables from a local co-op last night, and I needed to cook or freeze them.  I spent most of the day in the kitchen and I loved it! It's what I would call a Happy Day! We bought collards, mustard greens, flat green beans, okra, cubanelle peppers and some other produce.

I decided to cook the mustard and put them in the freezer.  Then I cooked the collards.  I remembered a while back going to the big BBQ cook-off in downtown Valdosta.  We bought some collard greens with  cabbage cooked in them; they were so good.  I had some left over cabbage in the frig, so in the pot they went.  They are almost done and the kitchen smells wonderful.

At the same time, I made a recipe for lunch that my mom cooked the other day - Mediterranean Vegetable Pasta. You basically cook pasta, add a light vegetable topping and then sprinkle with feta.  Super good!  The only thing I would have done differently would have been to add some pesto to the pasta noodles.

Remember that sweet and spicy coleslaw I posted the other day?  We loved it so much that I made some more today. Don't forget to cut the sugar! Supper tonight is flat beans, collards, okra, potato/sweet potato casserole and coleslaw. (I cooked the okra liked my granny used to fix it.  You cut it up and cook it slow in a skillet with seasonings.  It gets chewy if you cook it long enough.) Plus, there's enough for tomorrow.  Yea!

 I bought some fun kitchen tools at the EXPO last week.  The peeler is my absolute favorite.  I found one years ago and wore it out.  The one I bought last week is stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty. It fits your hand perfectly and cuts faster than a regular peeler.  I think it is the shape that makes it so perfect. Another tool we bought slices and makes waffle fries. We bought four different tools altogether.

Time for supper.  Talk to you guys later!





No comments:

Post a Comment